Leaving a meeting yesterday I got into a conversation with a security guard. Or rather he got me into it as he walked up asking me:
– Are you French?
– No, erhm, why?
– Are you married?
– What? Well, no.
– You should marry a nice Kenyan girl. She will love your money.
– OK, well, call me crazy but I want my future wife to love me for whom I am.
– Why? You will have a great family and she can take care of everything for you.
– Not really what I am looking for…
– You’re crazy! It would be so easy for you, all you would have to do is pay for it.
At this point I assumed he was going to “recommend“ someone, but instead he went into a five minute monologue about his life up until now. Unexpected on so many levels.
I mentioned this conversation to a Kenyan friend and his response was also unexpected.
– Forget the Kenyan or African women, they will suck you dry.
– Then, once you’re dry, she will leave you for someone else.
– That’s a bit harsh isn’t it?
– No. Find a mzungu (Swahili word for white person).
– Yes. Sucked dry!
And so goes another day…
I’ve been informed this text is racially insensitive, and yes it is. I wrote this post for that very reason, to highlight the existing discourse. In fact I’ve been told similar things several times before. I thought it implicit by the way I presented the text, but let me clarify to make things absolutely clear; the views expressed above are NOT mine, nor are they shared by me.